Friday, February 6, 2009

I just need to be real for a second.


Alright.
I've missed you, Blog.
I think.
I mean, I assume.
I mean, I feel like I should.

You're so large. You have so much SPACE.
You can feature pictures and videos.
(Not that we have such things terribly often.)

(You know how it is. You get a nice digital camera, you learn how to use it, sort of, and then you leave it where it's nice and safe. Like in a bag you never carry. Or in the car. Or better yet, at home.
In other words, anywhere other than WITH you.)

But anyway, pictures, videos, whatever, it's been a long time.
The truth is, I've found another Love. I totally didn't see this coming.

Because I'm wordy. Wordy, I said, and you know it.
(If I don't have time for a 500-word essay then what's the point.) (THAT kind of wordy.)

I want sentences that run on, and questionable punctuation (oh, punctuation!), and proper grammar, and room for elipses...
and for hyphens --
(Oh God does Tasha love her hyphens -- And two at a time -- That's important --)

And I want some semicolons; you know, those lovely elements that allow me to join one thought to the next and the next without that irritating period. (So final.)

So I totally didn't see this coming.

I'm sorry, but I love Twitter.

I do. It's embarrassing. Seriously.

Because I spend half my Twitter moments panicking that I can't use my beloved hyphens.
I cringe at the ugly abbreviations, my cherished words all jumbled into a small space -- and for what??! For someone's arbitrary squeezy bless-them-those-Twitter-founders 140-word limit??

Like putting on a pair of jeans two sizes too small.

But then, oh that quick satisfaction, the no-need-to-fill-space, the immediacy of it, the short distance from thought to micro-blog --

(Ew, I said I'd never say "micro-blog," and there it is.)
(I'm sure this could get worse but I don't know how.)

So. Blog.
Big one. Macro. Real one. Original.
I'm not leaving you.
I mean, not totally.

There will be photos, perhaps videos... (Really! We're newly-motivated! Newly-inspired!)
...There will be long paragraphs and run-on sentences whose prose-ish blocks of the English language request, plead for, nay, require a vacuous white space...
And where else could I find such a thing? -- such a willing container for all the Capitalizations, punctuations, ongoing ruminations followed by hesitant elipses, because I can't quite let go...

For such a thing, there is no other.
That I know of.
But I mean, technology is always developing.
But for now -- Well,
There is surely more to come.

And meanwhile, I'll be tweeting.
(And I don't use this proudly: this lingo, this giving-in-to-the-tech-advanced-web-2.0-masses-by-using-their-jargon...
*sigh* But there you have it.)

www.twitter.com/ellerytheband

(oh -- and
www.twitter.com/ellerythepoems)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that you guys with the bags over your heads? awesome... :)

~Dan

Ellery said...

It's not... But oh how I loved the picture!

I mean, of course it is!