Friday, December 19, 2008

Can't Sleep

it's a beautiful time, and devastating
the dim light and wind in the trees
rain now, leaves bobbing
and strings of lights with a swoon

the darkest nights staying long into day
and coming on early, early, earlier

we said it was beautiful. All of it, yes.
But oh, love, not easy --

A deep sorrow settled in, has cast
the strangest light on all of us
(hasn't it?)

It's time to go home, but I can't
It's getting late, flung far and wide,
but there's no return, I don't suppose,
for any of us
to anywhere we've been

And I will tell you a secret, darling
how I believe in so very little
how I know peace best
by its unspeakable silence

but --

(shh, shh)

there are songs I love to hear
and the lights-- oh, the lights

Nativity, blasphemy, dubiety
Who will speak next, dear?

I can't sleep for listening
I can't sleep for listening